«« Same ole' same ole.... | July 2008 socks are FINISHED! »»

July 21, 2008

I know I said it recently, but I love yarn!

It went from this

CU DK DOMESTIC.JPG

to this

brown in a bowl.JPG

with a little of

dk carded.JPG

and

brown on bobbin.JPG

and

brown cpb.JPG

thrown in. And it was all worth it. I only got 2 oz. out of this and approx 85 yards, but I love it! I love how fuzzy it came out.

Specs:
Unknown breed of fiber, but I do know it's wool. I scoured, picked and drum carded (in 3 passes) the wool. Then I spun it in singles. I have only kept singles once. I just love the way 2 ply yarn looks. I always ply with a center pull ball. I hate wasting any of the yarn. I did have a weak spot in the yarn and it broke while I was plying. I just tied the ends together and kept going. This yarn will be mine. I can't give it to someone or sell it knowing I had tied it together like that. I don't mind it, not sure if someone else would.

I love the whole experience of washing, carding and all that. Makes it more worth it to me. I don't have a lot in this skein, but it will be nice for some color work in the future. Mittens perhaps?

Posted by beth at July 21, 2008 12:28 PM

Comments

Just gorgeous!

Posted by: Alyssa at July 21, 2008 02:28 PM

You've got me itching for a drum carder. I just asked the guy down the road how much he wanted for his. He said he will check and see what it's worth. It's been in the box and barely used for about 10 years.
Love that fiber and the way it looks carded. Nice shade.

Posted by: windyridge at July 21, 2008 03:43 PM

I have many of those wee, little skeins lying around and I love all of them. You're right. There is something so wonderful about yarn you made yourself from start to finish!

Posted by: Sheepish Annie at July 21, 2008 04:30 PM

It's all an amazing process! I like that you included your Feb. Ladies Sweater in the background. Don't want her to be jealous.

Posted by: Laurie at July 21, 2008 06:08 PM

Wow! You've been busy while I was gone. What gorgeous fleece (not the smelly part!). Looks like a drum carder was a great decision. The yarn is beautiful. I imagine it is even better in person with all the color variations you can see in the fleece.

Your sweater is coming along nicely too! See you soon!

Posted by: Salt City Spinner at July 21, 2008 11:46 PM

The unknown breed of fibre in the first pic looks like Weird Al's hair when he is 70!!!

Just kidding...good job! I am impressed!")

Posted by: Carol at July 22, 2008 12:45 PM

Look at you go! (we do love us some weird al around here...) I noticed that you're wearing your lady sweater in that one picture... Very nice!

Posted by: lisa at July 22, 2008 07:42 PM