«« New project news | Enough already! »»

February 12, 2007

Don't get excited!

crochet jacketthingy.jpg

No, I didn't make this. And you will either love it or hate it. I love it in a weird grandma kind of way. What is it you ask? Well it is a crochet jacket of sorts. I got it at my new favorite vintage store right here in Syracuse. I bought it so I could "figure" out the pattern. I haven't done that yet because I am half way done with my second over the knee sock! YAY!!!!!!!

Okay back to the point. I really like this jacket thingy (above). It is made out of yucky acrylic yarn, but we can remedy that with cool yarn, cool colors, cool shape I may have a cool jacket.

Just thought I would share seeing as how I don't have anything else to show you. Let me know what you think.

Thanks to Carla for taking the picture.

Posted by beth at February 12, 2007 12:23 PM

Comments

I think it could be a great design if you get a yarn that yields a nice drape. Have fun figuring it out!

Posted by: meg at February 12, 2007 01:51 PM

i could see making that if it were a little more form fitting :)

Posted by: gleek at February 12, 2007 02:49 PM

i love it in a weird way too! it's very cool!

Posted by: kris at February 12, 2007 04:21 PM

Hey, I'm new to the Syracuse area and I'm really glad to hear about the cool vintage store. If you get time, would you be willing to email me and tell me about the LYS's in the area? I've been to Knitting Connection and the one in Marcellus. Never been to the two in Skaneatelas though. Are there others? Thanks!

Posted by: Eva at February 12, 2007 04:53 PM

You know...it has good bones. I think that it could be something cool with bit of tweaking. The length is nice and it looks like it could be dressed up or down depending on the yarn or closures. I see the potential!!!

Posted by: Sheepish Annie at February 12, 2007 07:36 PM

Yeah, at first I didn't like it at all, but then I looked again and I rather like the drape over the shoulder. And Highly Atomic? that wasn't there when I was!!! Looks fabulous! My favorite haunts were the Salvation Army on West St(?), and the two St. Vinny de Paul stores. Oh, yeah, and the trash runs on the north side and stolp-strathmore. Got a bunch of floor lamps, some elk antlers, vintage tank toys, a football shaped teapot and I can't remember what else? Do I have any of this anymore?? Nope, just a couple of pieces of furniture that I painted (two in tortoiseshell, one in putty graining).

Posted by: lisa at February 12, 2007 07:54 PM

i think it's totally doable with a yarn/hook combo that creates a softer fabric.

Posted by: maryse at February 12, 2007 10:36 PM

You know, if you wore it with all black underneath it could possibly work as is in a very retro kind of way... but it will be really cool when it's made to fit you better. It's fun finding these kooky garments from the past and figuring out how to wear them today!

Posted by: Karma at February 12, 2007 11:47 PM

Looking forward to see what you do with this!

Posted by: Jeanie at February 13, 2007 01:41 AM

I can see this in a better quality yarn and different color- maybe bring the waist in a little. It looks a bit stiff. I look forward to seeing what you figure out and what you end up with.

Posted by: Amy at February 13, 2007 08:17 AM

Love. It.

Posted by: diana at February 13, 2007 04:36 PM

I would like it in a drapier (is there such a word?) fabric. Something that would hang down more. I do think it would make an awesome blanket pattern!
=:8

Posted by: Kimberly at February 13, 2007 04:53 PM

Oh, yeah, documentation of something like that would make GREAT blogging! I was in Syr 1979-1995. I LOVEd that Fulton SA!!! I got an out of print botany manual there for 25cents and within the year sold it to a fellow grad student for 20 dollars! Then she became my friend and I felt badly! She lives in Fulton still, said they have 4 1/2 feet of snow, but no bragging rights. TWELVE feet 2 inches in Readfield? Yowsa!

Posted by: lisa at February 13, 2007 07:45 PM

Hmmm...I'm diggin' it in a cute Grandma kinda way too.

I'm excited to see your progress on figuring it out. I would agree with everyone...a softer yarn that yields a nicer drape would be lovely. I would place the button between the bosoms and maybe make a longer sleeve...maybe a 3/4? Very cute stuff there!

Posted by: Christie at February 14, 2007 12:59 PM

the sweater is neat looking.
i hope you can figure it out.:)

Posted by: minijaxter at February 15, 2007 01:14 PM

I think with the right yarn and make it long sleeve it could really be nice...

Posted by: lemon at February 20, 2007 12:57 PM

I think that capelet is totally cool - sort of a sweater, sort of a cape - love it!

Posted by: Barbara at February 28, 2007 04:16 PM