«« How many of you are glad this week is over? | Picture heavy... »»

April 10, 2006

Got a sec?

So I cruise the blogs. I was cruising See Eunny Knit. Wonderful place! Love her! So I see she has done some self striping sock yarn with kool aid. I love kool aid! So I figure, Hey! I can do that! Yeah right. I have only done self striping sock yarn once before and now I am going to listen to people when they tell me that this is a real pain in the ass! I guess I will never learn..... Okay, here is my story: It started out a nice bright Sunday morning.......

yarndance2.jpg

I labeled the picture because that is my yard. Yes that is our Christmas Tree (it is gone now - thank god) and yes that sled is still out there. Don't our neighbors have a nice green lawn? Okay, so I don't keep up with the Jones's. It cuts into my knitting and spinning time. So I place the 2 chairs apart like the directions tell me to do (aren't those chairs great?) I mark off were my colors should be. I get way dizzy in the process. The phone rings. I ignore it. My husband tells me it is my best friend. I can call her back. He tells my best friend that I am in the back yard doing an interpretive dance with kitchen chairs and yarn. She doesn't think twice. She knows me.

So now comes the actual "dyeing". I'm good at this right? WRONG! I soak my yarn. My yarn gets tangled. I get very unpleasant. Very unpleasant. I snap at anyone around me. I successfully untangle one skein but not the other. Okay, so I figure I will dye the one and get back to the other.

sssy.jpg

Looks good? NOPE! (well besides the fact the photo is too dark) I made the dark red section too long! CRAP! Not to mention this:

mess.jpg

most unpleasant. I am thinking of starting over again. Ha! But I hate to throw out yarn.

Can we move on?

piratehat2.jpg

All that's left to finish on this is sewing in the lining! Wahoo!!!

Specs:
Pattern: Pirate Hat (Hello Yarn)
Needles: Size 4 US (16") circular bamboo
Yarn: Laines Du Nord Linea Merino - Giunco in Blue and Chocolate Brown

This took me less than a week. I have 3 more to make.............big sigh.........

Posted by beth at April 10, 2006 12:34 PM

Comments

I self stripe yarn completely different, yet I have no pictures that say so :) But its a whole lot easier. It does come with an element of risk in the tangle department, but I have yet to get any tangled beyond being able to untangle it. It doesnt require chairs in the yard or spaced a football field away from each other either.
With that said... heh heh...COOL! And your yard is not bad. Have you seen the pictures of OUR new place? The former owner didn't do ANY yard work (or much of anything) at least for several years. And we even found a very old Christmas tree in the heap.
Kudos on the hat. My boys would love those!

Posted by: Carla at April 10, 2006 01:16 PM

Oh yes self stripe yarn is a pain - even if you have a warping board (easy to warp not to easy to rewind! This is why I haven't offered it. I love the hat - great colors.

Posted by: Marie at April 10, 2006 01:23 PM

Such a cute hat! Good luck with the second attempt at self striping yarn.

Posted by: Christie at April 10, 2006 01:25 PM

hey you should check out this blog entry (if you haven't already!):

it's totally inspired me to dye my own yarn!

also, the photo of your yard cracked me up...I love the captions! :) and...the pirate hat looks great!!

oh and ps: your last post about your son was very sweet! I'm sure I'd be crying too! yay for meeting miss Yarn Harlot herself. I hope to be doing that soon too!

.♥.

Posted by: Jenn (knittyJenn) at April 10, 2006 01:34 PM

Love the interpretive dance photos. Hey, I'm sure none of those fabulous bloggers who dye self-striping yarn did it perfectly the first time, either. I know you can do it if you try again! :)

Posted by: Karma at April 10, 2006 01:42 PM

hahah, yeah, self-striping yarn is a lot more of a pain than it looks! you didn't have to put weights on your chairs to stop them from falling over?

Posted by: gleek at April 10, 2006 01:46 PM

Good luck with the dyeing! Looks interesting... The pirate hat looks great! Who are you making them for?

Posted by: Julia at April 10, 2006 02:02 PM

Mwhahahahahahahahah.....

See?!

The hat looks cool though!

Posted by: Mia at April 10, 2006 03:26 PM

I give you points for perseverance!

Interpretive dance! More points for style. LOL!

Let the Joneses come over and do your lawn, if they don't like it. Personally, I like to tick off the anal-about-his-lawn neighbor.

The hat is a beauty! Great colors.

Posted by: Laurie at April 10, 2006 04:37 PM

Who cares if the dark red is too long? It'll still stripe, right? Just don't tell anyone what you were goin' for.

The pirate hat is amazing. Mad skillz for that.

Posted by: katie at April 10, 2006 05:39 PM

The hat looks wonderful.

I don't know crap about dyeing yarn, but I like your backyard setup! And, hey, it still might snow this year.

Posted by: diana at April 10, 2006 06:16 PM

I was about to send you a link to Scout's tutorial too. It's awesome. Heehee, love the arrow pointing to the "nice lawn".

Posted by: Cookie at April 10, 2006 07:10 PM

Love your pirates hat!!

Posted by: jillian at April 10, 2006 07:15 PM

I tried my first experience with dying yarn a solid color this weekend, and still ended up with a mess. You are braver than I am.

I love the hat!

Posted by: Angela at April 10, 2006 08:16 PM

Wow, that self striping stuff looks a little too involved for my taste!

Posted by: Erin at April 10, 2006 10:32 PM

I was hoping for pics in action. Can't the hubby take some of those?

Posted by: Jon at April 11, 2006 10:51 AM

love that pirate hat! great color choices, and yarn too!

thanks for sharing
(good luck with the tangles)

Posted by: j a r e d at April 12, 2006 10:15 AM

Arrgh! That means ya be closer to makin' me a pirate hat!!! Looks awesome!!! Oh and about that interpretive dance with yarn? I like where your head is at! :)

Posted by: Carol at April 13, 2006 12:57 PM