«« I got nothing. Nada, zilch | I am going to New York BABY »»

March 07, 2005

What the?

This is why I don't like working with novelty yarns

50_tangledupmess.jpg

Yes, it's ugly. The weak should turn away.

This is what it SHOULD look like

50_whatitshouldlooklike.jpg

Of course this happened while I was only inches from the end. I can't tell you what it is but I can show a little bit of detail. You will find out soon enough.

50_theendresult.jpg

Oh yeah, remember my purple socks? No? scroll down. Well, they are ripped. Yep, gone. I screwed them up, dropped stitches, you get the idea. So I started this. It is the Lion Brand Magic Stripes. I like this stuff! It's cheap, I like the colors, I mean come on! They are going on your feet! Your smelly, sweaty feet!

lionbrandsocks.jpg

The only problem I have with this is the pattern on the label. I am at the point where I have to turn the heel then pick up stitches along each side. 19 stitches to be exact. Well I don't have enough room for 19 stitches. How do I know this? I have already ripped this back to the point you see above. WTF?

Posted by beth at March 7, 2005 12:22 PM

Comments

bah to novelty yarns. my sister-in-law uses them all the time, and they get tangled up on her without fail.

as for the lovely socks you are doing, there are a couple of things i do to fudge the pick up numbers (and god knows i have had enough issues with socks to have to come up with "creative" solutions). 1. can you knit a few more rows of the flap to be able to make the 19 pick up? 2. did you try to pick up a few extra stitches right near the beginning of the flap using anything that catches your fancy? this usually helps close up any "holes" that might appear there once the sock is on your foot, too. 3. you can pick up less stitches (ie, whatever you can get on the needle) and then just decrease less stiches for the arch so that you get to the right final count for the length of the foot. this only works well if you are one to two stitches off, if you're wayyyyy off it will make the arch kinda tight. hope one of these helps you!

Posted by: crystal at March 7, 2005 02:26 PM

kool socks...hope they turn out ok...

Posted by: Lemon at March 7, 2005 03:16 PM

You know when you clean the hair off your hairbrush? Or pick up the hair that's collected around your shower drain? Yep, that's what I immediately thought when I saw that tangled mess. Hair. If I had a cat, I could comment on whether that looks like a hairball. I suspect it does, but I'm not positive.

Posted by: grumperina at March 7, 2005 04:06 PM

I know what you guys mean...once its tangled it's like you need a few million hours to get it undone! YUCK!

That cute little sock is looking good though! Keep on knitting!

Posted by: Leah at March 7, 2005 10:50 PM

Ewww, what the heck kind of novelty yarn is that? Looks like a nice big mess! I have to agree novelty is also not my most favorite yarn! But hey, it doesn't look like all is lost, that sock looks to be coming along nicely!

Posted by: Erin at March 8, 2005 08:55 AM

It sorta looks like something my cat would cough up too! Sorry, just had to share.

Posted by: beth at March 8, 2005 09:04 AM

I have thought it before and I think it again, I'm sorry beth, we are twin daughters of different mothers. The funniest thing about your post is that you did it twice - just like I did at http://btchwstix.blogspot.com. maybe we were sisters in a past life? And I hate novelty yarns and ribbon. And now have 5 ribbon scarfs to make (for pay) for a friend after I swore I would never make one again.

Posted by: aliceknits at March 8, 2005 09:43 PM

why don't you just make tube socks? ;-)

i'm very curious about that secret novelty yarn project you've got going!

Posted by: kris at March 9, 2005 08:14 AM

Beth....ur knitting rocks!!! Hope everything has been good in Syracuse :) We miss you here in Philly....My mom said your giving her a pair of socks.....I want a pair!!! If not....I can just steal hers! Just wanted to say Hello and miss you! :)

Posted by: Dominique at March 11, 2005 10:54 AM

I think I have that same ball of yarn in one of my storage bins. Neat to see how it worked up..hehe. Hope your sock turns out well.

Posted by: Emily at March 16, 2005 11:04 AM