«« My second attempt at mittens | Guess what I got on Saturday? »»

February 10, 2005

Why, please tell me.....

Would anyone want to make, let alone wear this?

75_fuggly1.jpg

Oh but it gets better, here is the "back side"

75_fuggly2.jpg

Yes, K1. The magazine brought to you by Lion Brand Yarns. I bought it. Why? Well because I buy a lot of magazines. I know, I am opinionated. It is my right. Perhaps some of you are thinking, well why don't you design something better? Well, I can't. I wish I could. Perhaps I will some day. But this crap should really not be printed, let alone designed. I am not the only one. But I will probably be the only one who gets shit for it.

Ah well.

I have a confession to make. I have started another ...............

clapotis.

I don't know what is wrong with me.

Posted by beth at February 10, 2005 09:57 PM

Comments

You are not the only one! What's up with that thing? I don't want to cause any wars here, but I'm fuming with bad thoughts about K1 and the LionBrand conspiracy. Check out Michelle's post on this topic, it's funny: http://www.airraidsirens.com/blog/archive/2005/02/two_open_letter.html

Posted by: grumperina at February 10, 2005 10:26 PM

GIRL! I've been waiting for somebody to design me some ovah-alls! I especially luv them there patches on the bot-tom. Girl...I'll be too cool two stepping my life away [I'll probably be clubbed, deservedly so]. Just kidding...those are a crime. I'm sure they'll be a ovah-all ring going up soon enough tho.

Posted by: Christie at February 10, 2005 11:32 PM

I think you should make it. Maybe you can revise the pattern and make it a unitard! LOL ;-)

Posted by: Rebec at February 11, 2005 12:52 AM

So I don't read the blog for two days and all of a sudden you're making mittens that match, remaking things that have already been made and mocking the best knitting design I have seen in ages!!! I mean, come on! Who DOESN'T want a ... shit. I can't even joke about being serious when it comes to knitted horror. That thing is far too scary. Although, I think that K1 is not a bad idea. There are loads of pamphlets and leaflets out there full of yarn patterns for just one company's yarn. Why not a magazine, too? And while that thing is horrendously horrendous, at least the person was trying something new... Okay, I honestly can't believe I just played devils advocate on such a monstrosity. It must be my bedtime, decision making skills are slowly fading...

Posted by: crystal at February 11, 2005 03:07 AM

Oh, I always buy Knit.1 also - I buy ANY knitting magazine out there. Did you see the "letter to the editor" complaining about the Lion Brand monopoly? I wonder if that is a real correspondence, or a composite of the 4,000 they probably got IRL.

Those overalls would probably work up great in Festive Fur - to be frank, I'm rather shocked they used something as toned down as sock yarn!

(p.s. Ok I admit I thought it was a wrestling singlet, a la Strong Mad)

Posted by: Michelle at February 11, 2005 03:45 AM

the really sad part is that this is the only american knitting magazine i can actually find in norway!

Posted by: kris at February 11, 2005 08:36 AM

Oh my. Those are very...interesting...

I have to admit, I am a little bit fascinated by them. Ten bucks we see J-Lo sportin' a pair in her next music video. Lion Brand is a trend setter, you know. Just look at the fun fur fad. See?

But seriously, those are our decade's version of embarassing craftyness. Like those awful 70s granny square sweater vests, or really anything you might see in Stitchy's Museum of Kitchy Stitches.

Posted by: Rachel at February 11, 2005 12:59 PM

Oh Honey, don't worry. Those K1 magazines are quite offensive and clearly a way for Lion to get more of their crappy yarn out on the market.

Keep up the fight for good knitting!

Posted by: Jon at February 11, 2005 02:47 PM

Oh lord, please save of from that which is K1 and their hideous designs! I can't imagine 1) that it is fashionable in any sense of the word and 2) that it would be comfortable, just look how it rides up her backside!!!

Another clapotis!?!?! Out of what?!?!?! (totally jealous over here)

Posted by: Erin at February 11, 2005 03:26 PM

P.S. I'm your favorite blog of the week! Awww! That's awesome (of course I was oblivious until Rachel pointed it out to me! Miss observant over here!) Thanks!!!

Posted by: Erin at February 11, 2005 03:28 PM

now now bethie....i think those overalls would look mighty fine with your kick ass cowboy boots....hahahah
another clap....woooo...what color is this one going to be?

Posted by: Lemon at February 11, 2005 04:16 PM

So ummmm, how bummed will you be if your gift is a kit to make that ensemble? ;) BTW: I am chomping at the bit for you to receive the pressie. Hopefully you'll love it!!!

Ashley ;-) - Your SP4

Posted by: Secret Pal 4 at February 11, 2005 06:07 PM

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. That is disgustingly ugly.
WILL NOT BUY THIS MAG. Thanks Beth, for saving me the ridiculously exorbitant magazine price!

Anyway, have a good weekend :P

Posted by: Lolly at February 11, 2005 10:31 PM

The first issue was pretty nice-glad I didn't just buy the second without looking! D'you think they're laughing in the Lion Brand offices, or do they really like this stuff?

Posted by: Janet at February 12, 2005 06:44 AM

Oh...My...God...

those are awful...y'know i dont usually have a problem with lion brand and some of their patterns but those are hideous!
blech

Posted by: jackie at February 12, 2005 10:56 PM

Eeeew. You owe me a new pair of eyes now - my retinas just burnt out from the horror of that image.

you know what's truly scary? Imagine how you'd react if you actually saw that..on someone...in public. *shudders*

Posted by: Miri at February 13, 2005 12:06 AM

i don't understand it either
but your clapotis looks fantastic, no wonder you are starting a second one

Posted by: joy at February 14, 2005 04:02 AM

You are not alone - we had a good laugh about that outfit at our knitting group. What would happen if you got caught out in the rain? The outfit would end up around your knees!

Posted by: ronke at February 16, 2005 12:13 PM

So I'm a little late on commenting on this one. You know why? I was too busy making the very thing you are mocking and I for one am offended. I was really excited about finishing this thing so I can wear my cowboy boots and hat again. It's going to look fabulous.

TOTALLY kidding.

Posted by: Stacey at February 17, 2005 02:31 AM

I gotta say,.......I have gotten both issues of K1 and love some of the designs. I too just wish they weren't partners with Lion Brand yarn. argh. But that overall thing? ....hmmmm....well ...the concept is actually kinda cool but the model, background, yarn and style of photograph do NOT glue together to make the design work. Just my humble opinion.

Posted by: share at February 19, 2005 02:54 AM