«« I did it! | Well I am glad I am not the only one »»

November 15, 2004

Dumb Ass

Yes I am a D U M B A S S! Why? Well cause I am. Do you know when you read a pattern and you think, I can do this. I am smart. I can figure it out. And it doesnít work? Well then you think, who wrote this stupid pattern? They are wrong, I am right, and you throw your knitting across the room? You donít do that? Oh, uh, well I donít either.
Where am I going with this? Yarn overs. I GET IT NOW! I have been doing them wrong for a long time! Thanks to the Flower Basket Shawl I now understand. They count as 1 stitch! Who knew? Obviously everyone but me. Okay, I shouldnít be so hard on my self. I have let it go. I can now show you my scarf. I am making it for my mother-in-law for Christmas. It is made out of 100% Alpaca. I love Alpaca. It is the new black.

jmom scarf

I have made this scarf 4 times. I want to apologize to the following people because the scarf you have is wrong! Mom, Pegi, Theresa, Missa. I wonít be fixing it. You will never know the difference.

I am making the neck warmer from the Knit 1 magazine. This by the way is not very inspiring. Lion Brand Yarns are used through the entire book. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I think Alison at Brainy Lady summed it up good. This is where I am at with it

neck warmer

I donít think I am going to add the buttons. I had an epiphany this morning on the way to work and I am going to try that this evening. I wonít share until I get it right. Oh yeah, the yarn I am using is Brown Sheep Bulky in a royal blue. It may be too itchy for the neck.

Posted by beth at November 15, 2004 12:11 PM

Comments

I too learned the hard way this weekend about yarn overs and their counting as a stitch unto themselves. I swear to god I ripped out the Aran Pinwheel hat I am knitting for my husband about 12 times before I realized why I had an extra stitch.

That scarf looks great, but mostly I am just in love with your flowerbasket shawl...

Posted by: Rachel at November 15, 2004 01:11 AM

That scarf has been on my to-do list for a long time. Every time I see a pretty one such as yours I want to drop my current projects so I can start it!

Posted by: monica at November 15, 2004 03:11 AM

the scarf looks great. yo's got to me too.

Posted by: froggy at November 15, 2004 05:11 AM

i made that scarf- i believe it was out of weekend knitters or something but i too had the same freaking problem. But I finally figured it out and the scarf is gorgeous. Congratulations - that scarf is not easy! :)

Posted by: jackie at November 15, 2004 06:11 AM

Love the scarf! The colours are gorgeous.

Posted by: Missy at November 15, 2004 06:11 AM

do you have the pattern for that scarf? i'm looking for something REALLY simple, but not simple LOOKING for a bunch of christmas gifts, heh. beautiful flower basket shawl by the way, i'm doing mine in noro iro!

Posted by: alice at November 15, 2004 09:11 AM

Hello, Beth. I am often reading your blog.
I am poor at English, I am taking pains to read an English patterns, and your blog,and lot of English knitting blogs!
Yes,I made the Tammy from the It's a Tape thing.VIRTUE Beret too.
Have you understood my English? I have to study knitting and English more.

Posted by: rarato at November 16, 2004 05:11 AM

thats okay ;-) i love mine the way it is!!!

Posted by: missa at November 20, 2004 09:11 AM