««back to main page of big geek

«« April 2004 | June 2004 »»

May 27, 2004

The Rock Chick Challange

I was over at Rock Chick's site a while back and she had some very CHEESY pictures of old knitting patterns. Well Rock Chick, Whadaya think?

Knitting pattern cheese

And better still

Knitting pattern cheese part 2

FREEZE!!!

I love the photographer's artistic vision and his use of fans. I kinda like the pattern for the girl in blue. I will have to (of course) post all of the pictures in the book. They are truly beautiful.

In knitting news:
HA! I have nothing! Nada, zip.
I am playing with the camera........These pictures were taken with it!!

--------

Posted by beth at 05:05 AM | Comments (1)

Busy Busy Busy

Sorry for the lack of posts....... My son was hurling on Sunday night so I had to stay home with him on Monday (oh darn - nice day too!) It has been really busy at work too, and I wanted to do some posting at lunch but never had the time.

My Camera,
Ahhhh. It is my true love right now. It is a Cannon Power Shot A75. And I know you have all heard it before....It is AWESOME! It can take movies, It can zoom, it can take black and white, sepia it can do my dishes!
I will do some knitting though. I have to.

Posted by beth at 05:05 AM | Comments (1)

May 25, 2004

I'm still here

So I finally got my digital camera! It is fantastic. It is a Cannon and it is fantastic. Unfortunately, I loaded the software to download the pictures onto my computer and it didn't work! My computer is f'ed up. Arg!! So, I have a camera, and pictures to post, but I have to many set backs. I went to Ithaca, NY this past Saturday with a couple of friend and I had a blast! We went to the farmer's market and I bought some yarn from a vendor there. It isn't hand spun, but that's okay. If I could I would post a goddamn picture!! I will though. Of course I spilled some of my food on the yarn, but it was saved. We also went to this great consignment store and I got some great deals on clothes. I always find stuff there. Any way I will try again tonight to fix the computer. I still haven't knit anything.

Posted by beth at 05:05 AM | Comments (1)

May 21, 2004

Cheryl's Sweater

Seeing as how I am still uninspired I am showing my completed works. This is Cheryl's sweater. It used to be my sweater, but it didn't look good on me. It looks much better on her. So why not give it to her?

cheryls

I got this pattern from the book "2 sticks and some string" The yarn is great. It's a hand painted mohair. I didn't have enough to do the whole sweater with it so I put a big purple stripe in the middle. I think that yarn is Classic Elite mohair. I dunno. It came out nice but it's too short!
Sigh.............. At least the Big Sack sweater fits me.
What can I freakin knit? I am bored.

Posted by beth at 05:05 AM | Comments (4)

May 20, 2004

People love these things!

Seeing as how I am not knitting anything at the moment...... I took a ton of pictures with Cheryl's digital camera so I could have some filler. Here is a filler shot

wrist warmer

This is from "Weekend Knitting" Which is the best book to get for quick projects. These you can do in an afternoon or 2 evenings. Like I said "People Love these things" It's a great way to use up yarn too. Behind my lovely Carol Marroll(SP) hand are 2 crochet scarves I did. I should post that pattern (because I just made it up) Hmmm.........

Tomorrow night I get my digital camera!!! Yippeeee!!

--------

Posted by beth at 05:05 AM | Comments (0)

May 19, 2004

sigh..........................

For lack of anything better to say today I leave you with this

space alien guy

I stole him from my son! He is playing a guitar! That's so cool. Notice his cool ride behind him? It matches my guitar. Here is a better picture

rad car

--------

Posted by beth at 05:05 AM | Comments (0)

May 18, 2004

Would this be considered Geek or Knitting?

A couple of days ago I showed my "stash" well here is a picture of my books and magazines:

my books & mags.

Behind the knitting needles are more books. What I love to do is go to library book sales and look for the old craft books from the 70's. Boy what an ugly decade! Very chunky. (I was a kid in that decade) remember I am 39. You do the math. Anyway a couple of those books are my cherished books from the 70's. One was even my mom's!

I used to buy "Knitters" magazine and kept every issue. I don't like that magazine anymore. Why? Is there anything hip in that magazine? NO! Do we really need to see another picture of Lily Chin? Uh no. So I went through them all and ripped out the articles worth saving, which amounted to about 2 issue's worth.

I am proud to say that I have every issue of "Interweave Knits" that ever came out! I was looking through those too and I could probably chuck some of those. But being the geek that I am I won't. Some of the magazines date back to when I learned how to knit! Does anyone remember when "Elle" magazine used to have those cards you could rip out in the back, with knitting patterns? I miss those! Some of those where really cool.

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (4)

MMMmmmm....... candy

When I got to work this morning, someone left these
nonpariels
On my chair!!!! (2 containers) I wonder who it could be?

--------

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (0)

May 17, 2004

This weekend

We went to a beautiful wedding this weekend. This was first wedding my son has ever been to. We bought him a nice outfit, he was on his almost best behavior, then oh yes it happened. He slid into a mud puddle. I only wish I had a camera! But he had a big mud spot from his waist down. He didn't get the shirt dirty which was weird......He wanted to go home. But I just tied a sweatshirt around his waist and let it dry. Then he was fine. But it always happens when you don't bring an extra change of clothes!!

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (0)

I am stuck...................

I am working on the Tammy sweater still(!) and I dunno, I just can't get into it! I have to because someone wants it! I was cruisin right along with it over the weekend and I go to count the stitches I should of had and I am 2 short! I am thinking of starting again and also to do it when I have no distractions. (children and husband)
I am going to buy my very own digital camera this coming weekend!! I got some birthday $$$$ and THAT is what I really want. A nice camera. Also in more cheerful news, I am going to join the local spinning guild! Yippee! So that goal may become a reality.(me learning to spin) However, I don't have the money to buy a wheel. I will go to the meetings and see if I like it.

Posted by beth at 05:05 AM | Comments (0)

May 14, 2004

My Dan Electro

Seeing as how I don't have much to say on the knitting front.... (I am working on Tammy) I want to show off my guitar. It is quite dusty I will admit and totally out of tune. Thank god for my tuner and my hubby. I am getting more inspired to play it though..... My son will be reaching my goal before I do! (he came up with a great song already - he's 6 1/2)
Here is the Dan Electro:
dan electro
Ain't she pretty! Now I just need to play it more...........
OH and that is not my amp. That is the hubby's. That is a pretty squonkin' one though! I love it and I can use it when ever I want!
What do you think Missa? Wanna Jam?

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (1)

May 12, 2004

The Stash

My stash
some of the stash
Those boxes that make up the bottom are bursting with wool. I haven't a clue what to make with it. It will be used oh yes it will be. The little blue and pink boxes are the cottons and novelties. I usually get those in the sale bins of yarn stores. I am sure I can make a scarf or 2 with that. As I find more inspiration on what to do with the yarn I will show what is in the boxes. That is not even counting the 4 plastic bins in the basement!

Here is a picture of some handspun yarn I got in Ashville NC. I think a poncho or the Boob Tube over at Glampyre would be cool as the next project
handspun #2
I just hope I have enough

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (1)

May 2003 Mix-O-Month Volume III

Well this is the last volume:

(1) Dear God – XTC
(10) You Are My Friend – Rain Parade
(11) Your Silent Face – New Order
(12) Peek-A-Boo – Devo
(13) The Big Sky – Kate Bush
(14) Tour de France – Kraftwork
(15) You Are The Light – Lone Justice

I really do believe I captured "My 80's" well! I was listening to this in the car and I got real happy when the Cure came on. You will notice #6 is by a band Masters of Reality, some of you have heard of them, some of you may not have. But if you were hanging around Syracuse, NY in the mid 80's you would of seen these guys. I couldn't wait for them to play! They were like a goth/rock/blues band. They didn't play a lot out, they liked to keep them selves a mystery. But boy when they did, everyone went to see them. Lotta fun.

--------

Posted by beth at 08:05 AM | Comments (0)

May 11, 2004

I don't know what to call this category!

Did anyone out there get their recent issue of Ready Made Magazine yet?
Has anyone out there seen the article about how to transform your old concert/rock tee-shirts to much nicer and wearable tee-shirts, skirts and dresses? WOW I can't wait to try it! I have a shit load of tee shirts that I just can't seem to part with, but don't want to wear because they make me look larger than I already am. Not to mention they have no shape to them. I am going to try to make the skirt first. Oh yeah the article was by Todd Oldham. He is brilliant. LOVE HIM. Are there any other crafty sites out there that offer a way to transform my boring old tee-shirts? Please let me know! I will let you know the up date on the skirt when I start it. My husband was in a band when we lived in Philly and he still has a bunch of tees left that I could at least mess 1 up and get it right the next time.

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (0)

May Mix-O-Month Volume II

(10) Love Is All Around – Husker Du
(11) Our Lips Our Sealed – The Go Go’s
(12) The Ballad Of Art Snyder – The Balancing Act
(13) Planet Claire – The B52’s
(14) Thieves Like Us – New Order
(15) Heaven – Psychedelic Furs
I am going to have to make another comp of 80's stuff. This is just the tip of the iceberg!!!!

--------

Posted by beth at 08:05 AM | Comments (0)

May 10, 2004

May Mix-O-Month

I dusted this chestnut off this morning and played it in the car on my way to work. It was last year's May Mix-O-Month. I made a 3 volume set and I really could have done more. This is the track listing:

Mix – O – Month Volume I
(10) How Soon Is Now – The Smiths
(11) Love Will Tear Us Apart – Joy Division
(12) If She Knew What She Wants – The Bangles
(13) St. Swithin’s Day – Billy Bragg
(14) Birthday – The Sugar Cubes
(15) Lorelei – The Cocteau Twins
All of you children of the 80's will totally relate to this! I will post volume 2 tomorrow.

--------

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (0)

Life is good!

My birthday was last week. I am finally 39 (sigh) and my friends gave me a little party this weekend! My friend Josie gave me a wonderful gift certificate to one of my favorite yarn stores!! Yippeee!!!! I can't wait to spend it! (I love you Josie!) My parents gave me a gift certificate too. And I am sorta, but not really ashamed to say I bought another pair of shoes. I am done. DONE, really, DONE. They are Steve Madden of course. And they are red and they are WONDERFUL.

--------

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (0)

Tammy

As you know I am working on the Tammy sweater for Cheryl. I had already finished the front or the back (they are both the same) and we held it up to her to see how it fit. Now, the model in the Rowan book is like a -0 and not everyone is that size. I was going to make her the large but, she, like me, is well endowed. So I had to rip the whole thing out and start again. Which I have last night. It's a good thing I love Cheryl, or else she would have just had to settle. No not really, I wouldn't have slept if it wasn't done correctly. So with that here is the Tammy sweater before I ripped it out.
Tammy front
Here is a detail of it up close
tammy detail
She (Cheryl) did a good job at picking out the colors. This yarn is amazing to work with. The hat below is out of the stuff.

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (1)

May 07, 2004

The Pink Thing

I know I have talked about it enough. So here it is finally.
THE PINK THING
Pink shawl
Here is a close up:
pink shawl detail
I especially like the wicked witch head.
This "thing" is not really a scarf, its a thing! Well its a shawl too. I really like to knit lace. I am not brave enough yet to try a lacy shawl yet. I will admit though a love/hate relationship with lace, I love it when I first start, then I make a mistake, hate it, fix mistake and end up with a pink thing. Anyone who has made a mistake while knitting lace will know when you make a mistake, it's not that easy to fix it! Especially if you have dropped one of your yarn overs. Oiy!

Posted by beth at 04:05 AM | Comments (4)

I am a slave to fashion

Or maybe I am just an idiot. I bought the shoes that you will see soon. They are not my beloved Steve Madden's but they are leather and they were comfortable when I tried them on! Of course I tried them on with peds. but I wore them to work yesterday, and they are cute! Let me tell you! They are damn cute! But as every gal knows it is very hard to wear shoes with out stockings, knee hi's, socks, peds whatever.... My feet got so sweaty! and stuck to the whole inside of the shoe. Well my coworkers did take pity on me and finally gave me some baby powder for my poor tootsies. While they all commented on how cute the shoes are. Well here is a picture of my feet. I know I know I need a pedicure.
my poor feet
The white stuff is the powder and not disgusting foot fungus.

--------

Posted by beth at 03:05 AM | Comments (0)

May 06, 2004

Aren't these rad?

As you know I have a problem
It is called a shoe addiction. I can't help it really.
monkey sneaks

Posted by beth at 04:05 AM | Comments (2)

Big Sack Take 2

I am going to try it again. Will it work? Hmm.......
bigsack1
I tried to put this up befor and it didn't work. Please let me know if you can see this photo of my wonderful sweater. It is from Stitch N Bitch.
Can you hear me know?

Posted by beth at 03:05 AM | Comments (2)

May 05, 2004

Christmix Mix 2003

This is the track listing for What I am listening to in my car right now. There is definately a pattern here. When you buy a cd, there may be 1 or 2 or even 3 songs that you really like (right away) and the other is crap, or you have to listen to it some more, or it is all good. Well when I make a mix these are the songs I like right away. I think if you looked at my latest mixes though you would see a pattern. I love Jay Farrar, Ryan Adams is only 1/2 good. He is really a whinney show off, but he can write some good songs. I LOVE Wilco, Of course GBV (sniffle) and The Black Keys are incredible. Neko Case LOVE HER!! So every now and then you will see my "Lists" of Mixes. Check back from time to time, there could be more contests!
Christmix 2003
One By One – Wilco
World On Fire – Sarah McLachlan
Midnight, In Her Eyes – The Black Keys
Liquid Indian – Guided By Voices
Let’s Have A Look – Psychic Soldiers
I Don’t Know What It Is – Rufus Wainwright

Posted by beth at 09:05 AM | Comments (0)

Picture time will be soon!

I borrowed Cheryl's digital camera last night and boy was I havin a ball! But then the battery freakin died!!! Arrrggggg! So with that, pictures will be forth coming. I took pictures of my "stash", I think I have a problem! I have a lot of freakin yarn! And that wasn't even all of it! Then I checked the Booger Blog and she is having a shoe show off, and well, I had to participate in that, and I think I have a problem! Wow, I have a lot of shoes! But that's okay. Right? I took pictures of finished stuff, not so finished stuff. I don't have much finished. I realized I give a lot of it away! That's good too, I can make room for more shoes!
Finally a big Thank you to Missa!! She is the absolute best! She has a button of this blog on her site. Also I wouldn't be here with out her help. Missa, your box is comming soon. I am soooooo bad!

--------

Posted by beth at 09:05 AM | Comments (0)

May 03, 2004

Today is a sad day.....

My husband (a bigger geek than me) just informed me that our beloved Guided By Voices is breaking up!!! Sigh......What to do? I am not too worried. Bob won't let me down. He is going to go solo. He is what I go to see anyway!

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (1)

I have a couple of pictures finally!

Okay here goes:
Hat 1
So this is the hat I made from the Rowan Book "It's a Tape Thing" A little big...... I didn't want the photo that big. I will work on that. This is actually a polaroid I took and then my hasbeen scanned it. Too big. I love you honey. But any way a photo! This was the easiest hat to do to.
Here is another view:
Hat 2

this is too big too. I will try to make it smaller.

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (2)

Julia is the winner!

Julia is a winner! She has won the Mix Master "B" Mix-O-Month's by me (Jan. & Feb. Only) by answering the correct trivia question! So Julia, I will probably give you your cd's at your wedding! Everyone give her a hand!

--------

Posted by beth at 12:05 PM | Comments (0)

I have to make this!!!!

I was going to get back to working on Cheryl's Tammy sweater but I found this I must start it tonight. Sorry Cheryl.

Posted by beth at 05:05 AM | Comments (0)