««back to main page of big geek

May 2004 »»

April 29, 2004

The Red Panda

Okay so I just finished the above book. Didn't like it. Big Yawn. And they have the nerve to compare it to Catcher in the Rye.

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (1)

Trivia Question

The person who answers this question will get my January 2004 mix -o- month and or my Feb. 2004 Mix. What was the name of the robot on Buck Rogers Space adventure (that old tv show from the late 70's) He went "Beedy Beedy Beedy Beedy" I don't know the answer so Any one could win. But if any one knows I am dying to find out. This is also a good way to see if anyone is reading this.

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (3)

New Books

I joined the Crafters Choice Book club (again) and I got my books yesterday!! Yippieee!! I was surprised in what I got (I know.... I picked them out) But the 4 books are: The Knitting Stitch Bible (so-so) A Knitting Journal (okay I have many journals) "How to Crochet" (I already know how but it has some things I don't know how) and The Green Mountain Spinnery Knitting Book (totally cool!!) I want to go to Vermont RIGHT NOW and buy yarn. So now I have to buy 1 more book. Which will not be hard.
Oh yeah. I just took some pictures and I will probably have them on Monday.

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (0)

April 28, 2004

Tammy

I have finished the back on the "Tammy" sweater. Or is it the front? They are both the same. I will now attempt to "block" it. I HATE that. I never have done it before, well maybe I have if you want to call Ironing it blocking. So I am going to do it the right way and block it. Pictures coming soon.

--------

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (1)

April 26, 2004

The Pink Thing is finished!!

Yes, I finally finished it! It took 4 skeins of Jamisons DK wool. But I love it! I don't know if I will keep it or give it away. Now I can concentrate on the Tammy sweater (you are welcome Cheryl) I was sooooooo tempted to go to the LYS on Saturday, then I read an article in one of my many magazines about a woman who liked to shop too much. I decided to rake the front yard and dig some weeds. Great self control! Plus the weather was so nice.

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (2)

April 23, 2004

I am sick

I don't feel good today so I am not really gonna say anything. Will someone make me some jello and chicken noodle soup?
I want my Mom.

--------

Posted by beth at 08:04 AM | Comments (0)

April 22, 2004

Steve Madden is a god

small pink shoes These are amazing! I also got these:
black shoes
No they were not a great deal like my boots were. But I was weak.

--------

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (1)

I am not very original!

Come on, I know every one has done it at least once, typed your name into google? Well I did that a while ago, and someone with the same name as me is apparently a very high up there officer in the military and wrote a book! (It wasn't me) Well I typed in "Big Geek Knit Blog" and evidently I am not the only knitting geek out there!

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (1)

Sigh........

I am not very inspired! I may have burned myself out over Christmas. I made at least 6 of the cat hats from "Stitch and Bitch", I made 2 of the Lite Lope scarves from "Weekend Knitting". I also made the big sack sweater from "Stitch and Bitch" Now I just want the weather to be warm so I can open the windows and let some fresh air in.

--------

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (0)

April 21, 2004

Nothing

I did no knitting last night. I thought about it. But nope I didn't do it. I went through some of my many many magazines. I discovered that I buy "Teen Vogue" Has any one ever read that? I secretly like it! I can't believe the clothes they put in there though. What teen could afford any of them? But they have a DIY page and a page that directs you to some good on line shopping. The record reviews are pretty good too! They don't do all the mainstream stuff like I guess all teens must listen to. I used to subscribe to Sassy Magazine when that was out. I do miss that one a lot. But alas there is Jane.
Okay, that had nothing to do with knitting. I must get pictures posted!!!!

Posted by beth at 05:04 AM | Comments (1)

Judith

You may have noticed on the side bar under other sites I check out, one called Judith Schaechter. She is a friend of mine and a very talented one! Please, anyone, if you get the chance click on it and check out her stuff. She is a stained glass artist. And this ain't the stuff you see in church. It really is beautiful stuff! Love her! I met Judy in Philadelphia when I used to live there. She was in a really cool band called "Ken". They were an all girl band with a boy for a singer. Sigh....... He unfortunately did not look like "Ken" but whatever. The band was great. Lets hear it for Judy!

--------

Posted by beth at 05:04 AM | Comments (0)

Mmmm...... Candy

Non Pariels
I could just eat these all day.
Wait.... I have been eating these all day.
They are Non Pariels if you couldn't tell what they are.

Posted by beth at 03:04 AM | Comments (4)

April 20, 2004

I need a digital camera

I really need to get a digital camera. I want to show my stuff. I am working on Tammy, and it is going really fast. However, I believe every pattern I ever follow is wrong. It isn't me. I know it isn't. There must be a flaw in every pattern. I get to a certain point to where I should be and I look at the pattern and guess what? They are wrong. Take for instance the "Tammy" pattern, I should be finishing up with Yarn A. But I'm not, I am finsishing up with Yarn B. Also my knitting should measure a certain length. Is that stretched? I EVEN DID A GAUGE!! Arggggg...... It will all be good in the end.
Peace
PS: It is me. But when I knit, it is the author of the pattern that I want to impale with my needles.

--------

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (0)

What the F*bleep*K?

See I told you I like to swear! Okay, so is it a full moon or something? Oh look, my calendar says that the "new moon" was yesterday. So that might explain why everyone has to drive like complete idiots. I drive on the highway to work. The speed limit is usually 65. As you get closer to the city it is 55. Well every one is doing at least 85. WHY PEOPLE? You are going to work! I would rather you rush home than rush to work! I am going 65 to 70. Sometimes I like to live dangerously and go 75. But then my whole car shakes. I see some of the other mothers who have just dropped their kids off at daycare blast past me at 85-90. I am not kidding. Oh and they are probably talking on their cell phones. I HATE THAT TOO! That could be a topic for another day.
Okay I am done. (Big cleansing breath, breathe in.......breathe out)

--------

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (0)

April 19, 2004

Exibit A - Boot Fetish

I love shoes. Would this be considered GEEKY? Hmmm...... I think not. But hey this is a chance for me to try and upload a picture. These were my latest purchase on e-bay. Now if you are as old as I am you may remember these from high school. I LOVE THESE BOOTS. I have been searching and searching for these. Of course I didn't want to pay full retail price of $200 and get them brand new. Oh no not me. These boots are what I have been looking for on e-bay forever (and 6 pairs of boots later....) So please everyone enjoy my boots and the good deal I got on them.

--------

Posted by beth at 05:04 AM | Comments (0)

My Mom

If you see my Mom today, please wish her a happy birthday!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I love you!

--------

Posted by beth at 05:04 AM | Comments (0)

New Music - Hooray!

I bought a couple of cd's this weekend. The new "Iron & Wine" and "Jem". I like both, but I am glad that I bought Jem used. She is a bit hip hoppy for me, but I like the smoothness of her voice. Iron & Wine is very good. If you like Nick Drake and Simon and Garfunkle you will like this. They are on Sub Pop too. I was supposed to go see a band this weekend but that fell through. Ah well.

Posted by beth at 05:04 AM | Comments (1)

April 16, 2004

From one Geek to the Next

I read about this in a magazine and thought the listings of Mix Tapes were totally funny. Click on the "Automatic Mix Tapes Generator" to see the mixes that were already done. I used to make tapes for people (just like John Cusack in High Fidelity - Great movie by the way) until we got a computer and I made mix cd's. Check out some of the titles. I wish I thought of some of these!

--------

Posted by beth at 04:04 AM | Comments (0)

April 15, 2004

It's my first day

Hi, I am Beth, this is my first day. I forgot to mention in my about "ME" thing that the reason why I am here is because I love to knit. I love fibers. I love, love love it! I am thinking about a topic a day, or a topic a week. Here is the first topic. I do not like gauge, in knitting, I know it is useful, but I don't like it. I do it but I don't like to. Maybe that is why every sweater I knit is too short. I thought every one in the world was short waisted. I think I am just dumb. I will try to do better I promise. So the question is "To gauge or not to gauge".

Posted by beth at 12:04 PM | Comments (2)